NDIS Annual Report: All you need to know.
Share, email, or print this story.
The team at Leap in! has created an easy to follow guide to help highlight the key information from the NDIS Annual Report for the 2019 – 2020 financial year.
The Annual Report is an important document because it provides information about the previous year and goals for the year ahead.
It includes information about participant outcomes, financial investments and ongoing or new initiatives that improve how the NDIS operates.
- 391,999 participants benefited from NDIS supports
- $17.2 billion in payments to meet participant support needs
- 1,100 planners and Local Area Coordinators participated in the New Starter Induction program
- NDIS achieved the highest ever satisfaction survey score of 83%
- Improvements to operational efficiencies enhanced participant experience
- The NDIS rollout is complete and accessible to all eligible Australians.
Supporting more participants.
The NDIS delivered a 66% increase in support payments to assist an additional 105,984 participants.
- 37% increase in the number of active participants compared to 2018-19
- $24.2 billion of support was committed to participant plans for 2019–20
- $17.2 billion was spent on participant support payments in 2019–20.
By 2023 the NDIS expects to support almost 532,000 participants.
The NDIS tracks key outcomes for participants to see how services can be improved. Overall, there is a positive trend across key outcomes from the start of the program through first and second plan reviews.
- 11% increase in life skills for young participants
- 7% increase in independence for school age participants
- 8% increase in employment for participants aged between 15 and 24
- 10% increase in community engagement for participants aged 25 and over.
The NDIS is committed to better response times to ensure a quality experience for participants.
- The average call is answered in less than 26 seconds
- 90% of reviews were completed in 60 days
- 95% of plan changes were implemented in less than 28 days
- Compared with 12 months ago, decision times are now 7x faster for children and 4x faster for adults.
Support for all eligible Australians.
All eligible Australians now have access to NDIS supports with the inclusion of Christmas Island and Cocos Island.
In the last year, more people from Aboriginal, Torres Strait Island and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds received support from the NDIS.
- 50.1% increase in participants who identify as CALD
- 52.7% increase in participants who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
The NDIS is investing in infrastructure and relationships to better connect participants to the people, services and technology they need.
- $20 million investment in NDIA’s Community Connectors Program to better help specific groups engage with the NDIS
- $237.8 million in grants awarded to 198 organisations across the country to improve information, linkages and capacity building.
The next phase of the Digital Partnership Program, announced in June will improve how participants, providers and the NDIA all connect and work together.
Response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The NDIS response to the COVID-19 pandemic focused on supporting participants, providers, staff and partners to ensure minimal disruption and the implementation of appropriate health and safety measures.
- Total average weekly payments increased by $20 million
- More than 65,000 care calls to vulnerable participants
- Funding flexibility to allow participants to meet critical needs.
Goals for 2020-21.
The NDIS uses a participant-first approach to ensure the best outcomes for participants, their families and the community.
Initiatives for the year ahead include:
- Focusing on greater access to employment opportunities
- Increasing awareness of the NDIS and providing support for people to access the scheme
- Simplifying relationships with other services such as health, education and justice to reduce complexity for participants.
Have any questions?
The Leap in! Crew are here to help. Give us a call on 1300 05 78 78 or chat with us on our website (Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm).