How does the NDIS work?
For eligible participants, the NDIS provides a package of funding split across several different categories. The funding is intended to help you achieve your goals.
Here’s a brief overview of the steps you might go through to access NDIS funding:
- Determine eligibility – see NDIS eligibility for details.
- Complete an Access Request and supply supporting information. “Access Request” is the term used for completing an application to join the NDIS.
- Get prepared for your first NDIS Plan meeting. Get your free Leap in! NDIS Plan Meeting Checklist.
- Attend your NDIS Plan meeting.
- Receive your first NDIS Plan.
The NDIS works with you to develop an NDIS Plan which outlines your goals and the types of support you need. Your plan may go for one year or longer, depending on the types of goals you have and how often your support needs are likely to change.
Funding is split into three categories. Some funding can be used flexibly and without a quote while other funding requires a quote and must be spent on the specific item outlined in your NDIS Plan.
Who manages the NDIS?
The NDIS is administered throughout Australia by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), an independent statutory authority set up to implement the NDIS.