How to switch from agency or self management to plan management.
Share, email, or print this story.
Now more than ever, with the changes brought about by COVID-19, there has been increasing interest in the freedom and choice offered by plan management. We are getting a lot of questions here at Leap in! HQ about how to make the switch.
Today, we will look at the benefits of plan management and what to do if you want to change the way you manage your NDIS Plan.
Options for managing your NDIS Plan.
One of the important choices to make when it comes to your NDIS Plan is how your plan is managed.
There are 4 options:
1. Agency managed
2. Plan managed
3. Self manage
4. A combination of the above.
You will usually make a decision on how your plan is managed at your NDIS Plan or Plan Review meeting. However, you can request this to be changed at any time.
Why switch from agency management to plan management?
With agency management, the NDIA manages your budgets and pays providers on your behalf. You are only able to choose NDIS-registered providers.
Common reasons for switching from agency management:
- The freedom to choose your own providers (registered and non-registered)
- A support worker you want to use is not NDIS-registered
You want more support, advice and resources to help you make the most of your NDIS Plan.
Why switch from self management to plan management?
Self management is the hands-on option where participants look after their own budgets and are responsible for paying providers. A separate bank account is required for managing NDIS funds. People who self-manage can use both registered and unregistered providers.
Common reasons for switching from self management:
- Get more support to manage your NDIS Plan and budgets
- Spend less time doing paperwork and accounts
Access cheaper supports due to capped pricing.
The benefits of working with a plan manager like Leap in!
- Get support through the entire NDIS Plan cycle
- Get help to manage your NDIS budgets
- We take care of paying your providers
- No out of pocket expenses (the NDIS puts additional funds into your plan to cover the cost of plan management)
- Use any provider and get help to find providers near you
- Our experienced plan managers provide advice and information when you need it.
You’ll also get access to the free Leap in! app to track your budgets in real time, set goals, keep all your information in one place and be more prepared for NDIS Plan meetings.
How to make the switch.
Any NDIS participant can ask to have plan management added to their NDIS Plan.
This can be done:
- At your NDIS Plan meeting
- At your NDIS Plan Review meeting
- Between plans by contacting the NDIS and asking for a Plan Review.
If you’re a little unsure of whether plan management is right for you, a combination plan is a good way to start. That’s where you only switch part of your plan to plan management, like Core supports for example.
For details, check out What is a combination NDIS Plan?
Switching to plan management during COVID-19.
To make it easier for participants to access supports during the COVID-19 pandemic, the NDIA is allowing participants to temporarily switch how their plan is managed. This can be done by following the steps below.
- Call the NDIS on 1800 800 110. Press option 5 for people affected by the coronavirus emergency
- Tell them you would like to switch to plan management because of coronavirus
- A fast-tracked Plan Review should take place within 1-2 weeks
Sign up to Leap in! on our website to get started.
We’re here to help.
If you have any questions, please call us on 1300 05 78 78 or chat with us online at www.leapin.com.au.
Interested in learning more? Check out these related resources: