Carmel is a highly qualified and skilled Psychologist with 15+ years of experience in the disability sector.
In her role as Psychologist at Disability Services on the Family and Early Childhood Services (FECS) Team, Carmel worked closely with children, adolescents and their families. Carmel understands the impact that cognitive impairments, communication difficulties, sensory sensitivities and physical limitations can have on the person and the important people in their life.
Collaborative Psychology services start with a thorough assessment and interventions are individualised with attention on improving quality of life and independence. Carmel works in partnership with other professionals such as Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Therapists, Physiotherapists and teachers. This expands knowledge and skills and improves outcomes.
Carmel has developed a high level of expertise and is passionate about providing quality services to people across the lifespan and over a range of areas including:
- Assessments: cognitive abilities, functional capacity as well as mental health
- Emotional regulation and behaviour management: learning to regulate difficult emotions including anger, anxiety, stress, depression and manage behaviours, transitions and adjustments
- Socialisation and friendships: building skills and confidence in interactions with others
- Counselling: providing emotional support, understanding and tools for coping and change
- Psycho-education: supporting families and caregivers in understanding disability and the impact on the person, their family and others
- Training to families such as parenting children and adolescents with developmental delays
- Reports, NDIS plan reviews and letters of support
Services are delivered at home, in the community or in-clinic.