Here at the Leap in! HQ, we have members with a diverse range of disabilities and conditions and we often get specific questions on how the NDIS can help their individual situation.
There are some common questions from members with autism (and parents of children with autism).
Is autism covered under the NDIS?
If you or your child have been diagnosed with autism, you may be eligible to receive support services and funding for autism under the NDIS.
There are two ways to access the NDIS, depending on the age of the participant:
- If you or your child are over the age of 7, access to the NDIS is via the general NDIS pathway (assessment and access approval, first NDIS plan and yearly plan review)
- If your child is aged 0-6, they will access the NDIS via the Early Childhood Early Intervention pathway (ECEI).
Call the NDIS on 1800 800 110 to make your access request.
What is the Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) pathway?
The ECEI pathway works in four areas:
- Provides early intervention for a child with developmental delay or disability
- Acknowledges that early intervention leads to better long-term outcomes
- Uses a family-centred approach that supports greater inclusion in mainstream settings and builds child and family capacity
- Connects families to services via access partners.
What support might I receive under the NDIS?
From getting help with early intervention, accessing respite care or learning important life skills, there is a wide range of support services available to help you if you are looking for assistance to manage day-to-day life with autism.
Some NDIS approved support may include:
- Speech therapists
- Occupational therapists
- In-home support
- Assistive technology
Leap in! can help you navigate the NDIS.
Let us help you with your NDIS pre-planning or Plan Review preparation to ensure you’re prepared, confident and relaxed when seeking support and funding for autism in your family.
If you’re ready to start achieving your goals, sign up to Leap in! plan management today. Otherwise, if you’d like to ask some more questions about how NDIS can support and fund autism or book your free NDIS pre-planning session, please give us a call on 1300 05 78 78.