Moving out of home: All you need to know.
Share or print this story.
02 September 2020

Moving out of home: All you need to know.

Whether you’re ready to move out of the family home now or have set a goal to do this in the future, understanding the options will help you find the right living environment.

In most cases, finding somewhere to live is something you’ll need to do yourself or with the support of family and friends. If you are managing your own money and making decisions for yourself, living independently can usually be achieved with a range of supports from the NDIS and other agencies.

There are also a number of NDIS-related independent living options for people with higher care needs.

Today, we’ll take a look at some of the options for independent living, other things to think about and the financial supports available.

Options for independent living.

Private rental market.

If you’re able to manage your own finances and decision-making, a private rental may be an option. See if you can find a place with a long lease if you want to stay long-term.

Social housing (also called public or community housing).

Many community housing agreements offer long-term security and affordable terms. Eligibility criteria apply and there are wait lists in many areas. The opportunity may arise to purchase the home in the future.

Private ownership.

Owning a home may sound like a big step and might not be right for you now but it could be something to work towards.

Custom arrangements.

Some families and communities are developing their own solutions such as buying a property with a friend or group of friends.

Private disability accommodation.

Independent housing cooperatives offer purpose-built investment opportunities and/or rental accommodation. While they are mostly connected with Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA), some don’t require SDA funding.

Supported accommodation.

Some specialist providers offer accommodation dedicated to enabling people with disabilities to live more independently in a supportive home environment.

Other considerations.

Some of the other things you might need to think about when considering moving out of home include:

  • The location: Where do you want to live? Do you need to be close to supports or services? Do you want to live near family or friends?
  • Can it accommodate the needs of support workers (for example overnight stays)?
  • If you’re looking at a long-term option such as buying a home, will it be able to meet your future needs?
  • How do you like to live? On your own or with other people?
  • What are the skills you will need to develop now and when you move into your own place?

For information about housing-related NDIS supports such as home modifications and in-home supports, check out Housing and the NDIS: What your options are.

Funded support for independent living.

1. Supported Independent Living (SIL).

Supported Independent Living (SIL) is an NDIS funding package that can help you live as independently as possible within a shared living arrangement. It can provide a range of supports including supervision of daily tasks and skill development so you can learn to do more things at home. Funded support hours vary based on the needs of yourself and other tenants but can be up to 24/7 care.

SIL may be available to you if you live in a rental property, share house or Specialist Disability Accommodation.

For more information, download our FREE Supported Independent Living ebook.

2. Individual Living Options (ILO).

Individual Living Options (ILO) are new support options, which can be included in an NDIS Plan. This model supports NDIS participants to explore and design living arrangements specific to their needs. ILO packages may cover support needs in a range of living environments and is understood to be more flexible than some of the other NDIS-funded supports such as SIL. For example, live in support by a support worker may be included.

If you want to rent a property on your own or with friends, ILO might work for you.

3. Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA).

The SDA program builds or modifies accommodation for people with extreme functional impairment or very high support needs.

Some NDIS participants will receive funding to support additional costs associated with living in this specialised accommodation.  Strict eligibility criteria apply.

Other types of financial support.

You may be eligible for some of the following non-NDIS supports if you met the eligibility criteria.

  • Disability Support Pension
  • Newstart Allowance
  • Mobility Allowance
  • Essential Medical Equipment Payment.

Check out the Centrelink payment and service finder for details.

Note that the NDIS does not provide income support.

The Leap in! Provider Network Directory.

The Leap in! Provider Network Directory now features hundreds of NDIS providers including organisations that provide in-home supports, Supported Independent Living and Specialist Disability Accommodation. It’s the ideal place to find providers in your area.

To find the directory visit our website:

  1. Click on the “Plan Management” menu in the block bar
  2. Select “Find a provider” from the drop-down menu.

Need help? Chat with us online via our website, call 1300 05 78 78, or email


Further reading

Staying safe at home: 5 cooking hacks for people with a disability.

What is Supported Independent Living? Plus how to get your FREE SIL ebook.

Housing and the NDIS: What your options are.

    Never miss an update – subscribe to Leap in! eNews.