Finding a house.


Finding the right place to live can be one of the trickiest aspects of obtaining SIL funding. Your support coordinator or a shared accommodation provider may be able to help find the right home for you.

Some shared accommodation providers offer a variety of home types including houses, units and villas. They can also help match you with housemates who have similar interests.

Be mindful that there is a wait list for SIL-suitable shared accommodation in some areas. However, many providers have new homes under construction which will be available in the future.


Young man sitting on the lounge smiling at the camera


SIL in your own home.

If you are a home owner, or have a private rental you share with other NDIS participants, you may be able to obtain SIL in your own home.

Either you or a support worker can take care of developing and submitting a Roster of Care to the NDIS and hiring additional support workers to meet your SIL needs.


Can I find a property myself? What about a standard rental property?

A standard rental property may be eligible for SIL funding provided it meets certain criteria. There is usually a preference for properties that offer a longterm lease, which can be difficult to obtain in the mainstream rental market.

< Go back to the Supported Independent Living ebook main menu.

Go to the next chapter > Service Agreements with SIL providers.