More flexibility in transport funding for NDIS participants.
NDIS participants will soon have more flexibility in access to transport funding in their NDIS Plans.
Changes announced by the government this week are designed to give participants greater choice and control over transport costs.
The NDIS and transport is a popular topic, so today we review the changes and what they mean for you.
What we know.
- Core supports budgets will soon have the flexibility to cover some transport costs
- The change will take effect from 1 March 2020
- Providers will be able to claim some vehicle running costs.
From March, NDIS participants will be able to flexibly use their NDIS Plan’s Core support funding to cover some transport costs.
That means you’ll be able to use your Core supports budgets to cover service provider costs associated with transport to and from NDIS funded community-based activities.
While the Core supports budget is the most flexible of the three NDIS budgets, this flexibility did not previously apply to transport-related costs.
There is currently some uncertainty about whether community activities that are not NDIS funded, such as visiting a doctor, will be covered.
Service provider costs.
Providers will be able to claim some vehicle running costs when offering transport to an NDIS participant in conjunction with community activities identified in their NDIS Plan.
These costs are in addition to the support worker’s time. They are billed at the per kilometre rates below.
- Up to $0.85 per kilometre for a standard vehicle not modified for accessibility
- Up to $2.40 a kilometre for a vehicle that is modified for accessibility, or a bus
- Up to the full amount for other forms of transport or associated costs, such as road tolls, parking and public transport fares.
Participants and providers can discuss and agree on non-labour costs when arranging a service booking.
What happens next.
The NDIS Price Guide and Support Catalogue will be updated and published on the NDIS website soon to reflect the changes.
We’ll be sure to let you know once the new Price Guide and Catalogue are available, along with any other relevant updates.
If you’re unsure what these changes mean for you, or if you have any questions about the NDIS, give us a call on 1300 05 78 78. We’re also available to chat online via our website between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.