A quick update from the team here at Leap in! HQ….
On 8 February, the NDIA announced changes to the Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA).
Quickly, what is SDA?
Specialist Disability Accommodation (or SDA) is a support that is available to eligible NDIS participants. It is a housing solution for people who require specialist accommodation solutions, and in particular for those with extreme functional impairment or very high support needs and who cannot live in mainstream housing.
What has changed with this announcement?
- NDIS participants will be able to apply for SDA straight away without having to investigate all other accommodation options first
- The majority bedroom rule has been removed which allows more properties to be enrolled as SDA and also means that couples and siblings can now share a room
- There will now be price certainty for NDIS participants making it easier for them to own their own SDA property
The changes all aim to:
- Grow market confidence for providers and investors to encourage new SDA development
- Drive stronger investment in SDA
While SDA support is only granted to a small percentage of NDIS participants, and you might not be one of them, we like to keep you up to date. After all, there is a lot to learn, read and follow.