Personal Care Supports
One topic that we often discuss with our members is personal care supports, so we thought we’d share a bit of information to help.
What are personal care supports?
Personal care supports relate to assistance with daily personal activities. Some examples are:
- Managing personal hygiene with showering, bathing, oral hygiene, dressing and grooming
- Looking after and assisting with bodily functions
- Assisting with eating and drinking
- Attending appointments
- Assisting with the use of aids and appliances
- Helping with mobility
- Looking after the application of basic first aid
How does the NDIA assist with personal care supports?
The NDIA will consider many factors before deciding whether or not to include personal care supports in your plan. First and foremost, they must be satisfied that the support is reasonable and necessary and assists you to pursue your goals, objectives and aspirations.
What personal care supports might look like:
In most case, supports are limited to a maximum of 6 hours a day and might include:
- Bathing, dressing, toileting and grooming
- Assistance with eating and handling medication
- Mobility including exercise, positioning and moving
However, in some cases the NDIA may decide to fund higher levels of personal care support. They will consider things like:
- Whether the participant has high care needs, for example those with unstable seizure activity or respiratory support.
- A participant’s weight
- The medical condition of a participant
- If two support people are needed for transfers
- Whether the participant has behavioural concerns
You may not know…
If you request that intimate personal care is not to be provided by family members or friends, this request must always be respected and taken into account when determining the level of assistance that should be funded.
We can help you.
Let us help you with your preparation for your first NDIS Plan Meeting or Plan Review to ensure you have everything covered and make sure you have the very best chance of getting the help you need.
Call us on 1300 05 78 78 to have your questions answered, to book your free NDIS pre-planning session or sign up to Leap in! plan management today.